Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Well oiled machine

The ship runs off of two things: diesel fuel and coffee. There are crew members working 24 hours a day in shifts to keep the ship running smoothly. It's very structured and organized (I'm number 59, see above). It has to be. In case of emergency, we have to know where to go and what to do under each circumstance. Fortunately, the crew in charge is experienced, most that I have spoken with have been working with Scripps Institute ships for over 15 years. Obviously, they know they're job well and somehow even have patience for newbies like me.

"Look below deck on the starboard side in the forward compartment," says the Res Tech. 

"Yes sir," I respond confidently before turning in confusion. Then I go to someone else and ask them what all that means!

I'm learning a lot and have a lot to learn--exactly where I love to be.



No comments:

Post a Comment