Friday, May 16, 2014

Don't worry Mom; they're feeding me well, very well!

Everyday Bob and Mark get up early to begin their 12 hour shift from 6 to 6 to make the crew and science team happy. Very happy. At 7:30am, 11:30am, and 5:00pm, the line begins to form for the buffet style meals that are prepared for us. And, these meals are good, nothing like I thought that I would be sacrificing by leaving the world's greatest "cooker" (as my children say) at home. However, when we were being fed pork ribs, salmon, prime rib, and seafood gumbo each night, I realized that I was in good hands, and I made immediate friends with the masters of the grill.


Bob Seeley, retiring this year after 23 years



Mark Smith, 19 years of service
Today's dinner:
Tuna steak, brussel sprouts with bacon, red potatoes
Mark Smith, a former Navy man, has been working for Scripps for 19 years, preparing foods aboard ships in the fleet. Bob Seeley from Iowa far from any port is retiring this year after 23 years of service, most of which has been on the Melville. That's a long time to work in one place, which means two things: one, they do an awesome job at what they do; and two, the job is worth the long hours and time away from home. They work these research cruises for four months at a time with three months off, traveling the world. Literally. Mark told me that he's been every possible place imaginable with a port: South Africa, Galapagos, Samoa, Chile, the Philippines, and beyond. 
Dessert is not an option!

For this research cruise, they spent $15,000 for the food to prepare the meals. They don't necessarily make a menu ahead of time, but instead, they take turns making what they know well. Mark said, "When I get to cook something I really like, I hook it up." And, I couldn't agree more. It's like the way my administration allows me the freedom to be creative and be a professional--"I hook it up" too.


We will go through 55 gallons of milk and 1,980 eggs before this trip ends with very little if anything going to waste. Bob said that they purposely choose foods that can be repurposed into the next meals without feeling like we're eating leftovers. I know this magic trick firsthand from home with my wife--It's ALWAYS the best thing that I've ever eaten.

Our rolling galley, where table tops have lips and everything is secured to the floor
These men make this journey bearable and even enjoyable for all of us. I will be focusing on the important science happening all around me on this ship, but these are the guys that play an important role as well for so many years of service. Thank you, Bob and Mark. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment